Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Tumblr
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tuner Maneuver Magazine, issues with plagiarism?

Because some of us are considering contributing to this magazine or having our cars featured I'd thought I share this with you. Looks like they have had some issues with plagiarism, on multiple occasions, in the past. Not trying to start any trouble, just want people to make an informed decision when considering whether or not to associate yourself with this magazine.

I'm sure TMM will chime in on this.

http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothrea ... 263&page=1
    Wrong Fitment Crew #850 - Hellaflush Approved - Team RareJDM
    www.marcuscookephotography.com

Re: Tuner Maneuver Magazine, issues with plagiarism?

Hmm, thats news to me.

I can't actually view the link because i'm at work and whatever it is my webfilter blocks me from viewing it, but I will definitely check it out when I get home.

Keep in mind I only volunteer my time/work for the magazine, much like a blogger/contributor does for hellaflush.com. I don't actually run the mag.

Only thing I do is write the features, which I can assure you are my own words. We have featured a few cars that have appeared on other websites such as hellaflush (SP00L's red WRX), canibeat (the black G35 in our upcoming issue) and even here (the black E30 in our upcoming issue), but it would take all the fun away from what I do if I used other's words to write a feature article. I volunteered to be the feature coordinator/writer for the simple fact that I love automotive journalism.

As for what Jay does, which is the primarily the stuff on the homepage (news, show covereage, etc etc) and conducting interviews, I only know him but so well (via the internet), but he seems like a very legit, down to earth guy in my opinion.

But i'm sure Jay can chime in and clarify on some things, and i'm going to have a word with him about this when I get home.

I just wanted to take a brief moment to clear my own name, as i'm just a small portion of TMM as a whole.
    '05 Mazdaspeed Miata/WFC #244
    http://rust-n-stuff.tumblr.com/

hmmm... very. very. interesting... :? :?:

What the fuck! I'm just sitting here reading through that thread in awe. I need an explanation asap.

oh shit. that's not good at all.
    2005 Supercharged Saabaru 9-2x Linear / 1992 Mazda Miata

Ok, so i'm home now (Parenthood is on a commercial break at the moment.....kick ass show by the way) and I just visited the link post up to and all I can say is wow. I'm floored by that. I'm going to send him a message on facebook, providing him with the the link posted above, as well as the direct link to this thread.

I honestly had no idea things like that were going on. I just knew Jay through the fact that they featured my car about a year ago on the website, which led to a friendship via myspace/facebook, and then I jumped at the opportunity to become a writer for the website when a position became available.

Seeing something like this makes me seriously question whether or not I want to be affiliated with the magazine. On one end, it provides a stepping stone to break into the automotive journalism industry, and could potentially open doors for me in the future. But on the other end, it could tarnish my name now that things like this are surfacing.

Either way, i'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet until I talk to him and/or he chimes in on the matter.

But once again, I can assure you that the feature cars are purely my own words, though that doesn't hinder the fact that there is plagiarism occurring on the website.
    '05 Mazdaspeed Miata/WFC #244
    http://rust-n-stuff.tumblr.com/

I just got off work and noticed this. I am an honest and truthful guy. I will admit there have been some bad acts in the past that thread has started almost a year ago and we have sent our apology letters many times. We had some writers in the beginning writing for us when first starting out and a few other times that were high school kids just getting their start in the industry, me being the type of guy I am. I gave them a chance since I believe we all have to start somewhere. Well they started out on the wrong leg and were plagiarizing. At the time being new I wasn’t unaware of it until the other site/publication contacted me in regards to it. I instantly removed the articles and told the writers they could no longer work for me. I then hired another writer a few months ago and they did the same things as if to make us look even worse. I am not here to hurt anyone or steal content. We source everything and give credit where it’s owed. I run all articles written by my writers through the same software colleges check papers with for plagiarism. I have taken a bad rep because of this and I have spoke with my lawyer in regards to removing these threads due to digital defamination. I do tons of work for charities and would give anyone my shirt off my back. I am not out there to do anyone including stance nation wrong. I think once a thread starts now everyone finds a way to bring you down to a lower level to make them feel like the bigger man and to be part of the bandwagon action.

on a second note, if we werent doing things right I dont think Redline Time Attack & Formula Drift which both know about these issues and look past them because of who we are today and what we've learned would have us on board if we weren't running a tight ship that is orignal and legit.

I make no money at this at all, I do all of this strictly for the passion. I was a marketing rep for a turbo company before getting laid off. I wanted to stay involved so I started a blog type site that turned into a publicaiton.